MOPS & Compassion Act for Moms Contest Official Rules
Act for Moms 2017-2018 Official Contest Rules
Compassion International, Inc.
12290 Voyager Parkway
Colorado Springs, CO 80921
MOPS/ COMPASSION ACT FOR MOMS 2017-2018 CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
NO DONATION OR PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
- Description: The purpose of the MOPS/Compassion International Act for Moms 2017-2018 Contest (the “Contest”) is for registered MOPS groups to demonstrate community engagement and fundraising skills to raise awareness and resources for Compassion International’s Child Development Sponsorship Program and Child Survival Program in Honduras.
- Entry Period: Contest will begin on October 16, 2017 at 12:00 am MST through February 16, 2018 at 11:59 pm MST (“Entry Period”). Entrants not located with the Mountain Standard Time zone, must factor in the time difference.
- Eligibility: The Contest is open to registered MOPS groups and/or their designated representative in the United States. Employees of Compassion International (“Sponsor”) and members of their immediate families or households and MOPS are not eligible to win. Entrants must be at least 18 years of age at the time of entry and legal residents of the United States. Limit of one entry per registered MOPS group.
- How to Enter: During the Entry Period, visit www.compassion.com/actformoms. Complete the “Create Your Campaign” form to register and build a creative online fundraising campaign for the Child Survival Program in Honduras. Entrants will then receive a Community Engagement/Act for Moms kit (which will contain educational, promotional and ten (10) unsponsored child packets) in the mail at the address provided in the “Create Your Campaign” form in order to raise awareness and encourage sponsorships for the Child Development Sponsorship Program. Entrants will be required to submit photos and other creative material highlighting the campaign creativity during the Entry Period via email to their designated Compassion/MOPS representative ACT@compassion.com with subject line to include ‘Act for Moms Contest’.
- Judging Criteria: All eligible entries will be judged by a panel of Compassion International employees using such criteria as they deem appropriate, including (without limitation) community engagement skills, that includes at least 10 child sponsorships (60%), fundraising ability, including total campaign funds raised (30%) and campaign creativity (10%).
- Winners: The judges will select five (5) registered MOPS groups as Winners. Each registered MOPS group must select one (1) group representative (“Prize Winner”) to receive the Prize. Winners will be determined on or about February 23, 2018 in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Prize Winners will be subject to a criminal background check. Prize Winners will be required to provide insight and feedback, including but not limited to interviews, video, social media and blog posts about their experience in relation to the Prize.
- Notification: Winners will be notified via email on or after February 23, 2018. Notification is deemed to have occurred immediately upon sending of the email to the individual winners. Each Winner must reply to Compassion International at ACT@compassion.com or call 800-336-7535 within 48 hours of receiving the notification email. Sponsor will make a maximum of three (3) email attempts to notify each Winner. If after three (3) attempts Sponsor has not received a reply via email or call, the Winner will be disqualified. Sponsor is not responsible for and shall not be liable for unsuccessful efforts to notify a potential winner. All judging criteria and decisions of Sponsor are final.
- Prizes (5 available): Prize Winners will receive a trip to the Honduras in 2018 to visit the Compassion International Child Survival Project office where the campaign funds will be utilized. The Prize will consist of the following: (i) round-trip economy class airfare from the nearest major U.S. airport nearest the Prize Winner’s residence; (ii) hotel accommodations; (iii) ground transportation; and (iv) meals. The specifics of all aforementioned elements of the Prize shall be solely determined by Sponsor. All costs, taxes, fees and expenses associated with any element of the Prize not specifically addressed above are the sole responsibility of the Prize Winner
Approximate total value of each Prize is: $3,200. Prize value may vary depending upon departure location and time of travel. Prize Winners must sign and return a travel release before any ticketing of travel occurs. Prize Winners must have all necessary identification and/or travel documents (e.g., passport) required for travel. Airline tickets are non-refundable/non-transferable and are not valid for upgrades and/or frequent flyer miles. Sponsor shall not be responsible for any cancellations, delays, diversions or substitution or any act or omissions whatsoever by the air carriers, hotels, venue operators, transportation companies, or any other persons providing Prize related services or accommodations. Prize Winners are responsible for obtaining travel insurance and all other forms of insurance at their option. Lost, stolen or damaged airline tickets, travel vouchers or certificates will not be replaced or exchanged. The Prize is not transferable, not redeemable for cash or non-exchangeable for any other prize. The Prize is non-transferable to any party outside of the winning MOPS group.
By participating you agree (a) to be bound by these Official Rules; (b) that the decisions of Sponsor are final on all matters relating to the Contest; including travel guidelines (c) you are not participating on behalf of any third party outside of MOPS; (d) in the event that you do not comply with the Official Rules, your entry will not be accepted. If a Winner declines the prize, another Winner will be chosen within 30 days from notification that the prize is declined.
Prize Winner agrees to comply with all Prize and trip registration guidelines and timeframes as set forth by Sponsor. If Prize Winner does not comply with all Prize and trip registration guidelines and timeframes Prize Winner will forfeit the Prize.
Any valuation of the Prize stated above is based on available information provided to Sponsor and the value of any Prize awarded to an individual Prize Winner shall be reported for tax purposes on a 1099 to the Prize Winner as required by law. Prize Winners are responsible for reporting and paying any and all applicable taxes related to the Prize and paying any expense(s) which are not specifically provided for in the Official Rules. Prize Winners must provide Sponsor with a completed form W-9 before any Prize will be awarded.
For all contests Compassion International disclaims all liability for any delays, misdelivery, loss, or failure in the delivery of any item sent by mail, courier, express, electronic transmission, or other delivery method. Compassion International is not responsible for mechanical, technical, electronic, communications, telephone, computer, hardware or software errors, malfunctions or failures of any kind, including: failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed transmission of online entries, traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or lost or unavailable network connections which may limit an online entrant's ability to participate in the Contest, and any injury or damage to entrant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participating in or downloading any information necessary to participate in the Contest. Compassion International further reserves the right to cancel, terminate or modify the contest if, in the sole discretion of Compassion International, it is impossible or impractical to complete the contest as planned for any reason, including, but not limited to, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention or technical failures of any sort; unpredictability of political and meteorological conditions or other circumstances which are beyond the control of Compassion International. In such circumstances, the Winning participants will not be entitled to a substitute prize or trip except as is offered by Compassion International in its sole discretion.
- Conduct and Decisions: By participating in the Contest, participants agree to be bound by the decisions of Compassion International personnel. Persons who violate any rule, gain unfair advantage in participating in the Contest, or obtain winner status using fraudulent means will be disqualified. Unsportsmanlike, disruptive, annoying, harassing or threatening behavior is prohibited. Compassion International will interpret these rules and resolve any disputes, conflicting claims, or ambiguities concerning the Contest rules and Compassion International’s decisions concerning such disputes shall be final.
- Use of Entries: Participants grant permission to Sponsor to use their entries, any derivatives/portions thereof, names, likeness and biographical information for promotional or advertising purposes in all media worldwide, without notice of further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
- Winner’s List: To obtain a list of Winners, send a self-addressed stamped envelope by February 17, 2018 to: Compassion International, MOPS/Act for Compassion 2017-2018 Contest, 12290 Voyager Parkway, Colorado Springs, CO 80921, ATTN: Blaise Selby. Winner disclosure will be available no sooner than February 23, 2018.
I hereby agree that in accordance with the Official Contest Rules the Winners will be selected by Sponsor in its sole discretion and I agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Compassion International and its affiliates, licensees, successors and assigns from and against any and all claims regarding bias, prejudice or self-dealing in Sponsor’s selection of the Winners. I further agree that Sponsor’s decision is final.
The Prize Winner will be required to sign the following Travel Release Form prior to the trip:
Travel Release Privilege of Participation
I understand that participating and traveling in overseas programs with Compassion International, Inc., an Illinois not-for-profit corporation (“Compassion”), is a privilege. In consideration for that privilege, I am signing this Travel Release Form and agreeing to it terms and conditions. Each covenant and agreement that I make in this document is made for myself and is intended to be binding on me and my family members, heirs, beneficiaries, estate, and personal representatives to the fullest extent permitted by law.
Acknowledgement of Risk
I have been informed of and reviewed the U.S. State Department briefings regarding the country(ies) in which I will travel with Compassion. I understand that there are certain risks and dangers associated with such travel and participation in Compassion’s overseas programs, which often include travel to and lodging in the poorest areas of developing countries. Those risks, whether or not listed by the U.S. State Department, include but are not necessarily limited to acts of violence; kidnapping, piracy, hijacking, and other criminal activities; civil and political disturbances; illness and inadequate medical care; airplane and vehicle accidents; natural disasters such as earthquakes, tsunamis, and hurricanes; and the possibility of other injury, disease, or death. I nevertheless voluntarily choose to participate in and travel with Compassion and assume those risks of participation and travel.
Release and Agreement not to Sue
I release and covenant not to sue Compassion and its affiliates, and their respective directors, officers, employees, volunteers, successors, assigns, agents, and representatives (including the heirs, beneficiaries, and personal representatives of any such individual), from, against, and with respect to, and further discharge and waive, all claims (known and unknown), demands, actions, causes of action, damages, losses, and liabilities that I may have or suffer (including claims of negligence) with respect to (1) personal injury, disease, illness, accident, disability, death, or other injury of any kind, and/or (2) injury or loss to real or personal property, and in each of (1) or (2) caused by or arising out of my travels with and other participation in the programs of Compassion.
I further agree to indemnify, save, and hold harmless the released parties referenced above from any and all claims, demands, actions, causes of action, damages, losses, and liabilities for indemnity, contribution, or otherwise with respect to any and all personal injury, death, and/or property damage caused by or arising out of my travels with and other participation in the programs of Compassion, as may be asserted by a third party (defined as a party other than the released parties or me), except to the extent prohibited by applicable law.
I understand and agree that my participation in the Compassion program and any services I perform in connection therewith are voluntary Christian services and not in contemplation of compensation of any kind. I am not an employee of Compassion. This agreement is necessary to document the exemption of such voluntary service from wage and hour and tax laws, if any, of the United States and foreign jurisdictions, applicable to any such volunteer service.
Permission to Treat
In the event that I become sick or injured while participating in Compassion’s programs, I give Compassion and its representatives authority to request and authorize medical and/or hospital treatment on my behalf and for my benefit. I further authorize any licensed physician, dentist, other qualified medical personnel, hospital and medical clinic to administer necessary medical and/or surgical treatment to protect my health and welfare. I also authorize Compassion and its representatives to administer first aid to me in the event that I become sick or injured, and to authorize and consent on my behalf to the administration of first aid by emergency medical service providers.
In the event of arrest or detention by legitimate governments or other forces, Compassion will use all appropriate resources and take all appropriate steps to gain release. In the event of threats to life, Compassion will use legitimate, prudent means for safeguarding life. If, for whatever reason, I am individually or in a group involved in a kidnapping, piracy, or hijacking, or am otherwise arrested or detained, I appoint Compassion or its delegate to represent me and my family in any negotiation proceedings. I understand that the policy of Compassion is that it will not pay ransom or yield to demands of any individual or group. I understand and agree to abide by Compassion’s policy in this regard.
Entry to Foreign Country
I acknowledge and agree that it is my responsibility to obtain the necessary documents for entry into any foreign country where I will travel with Compassion, including but not limited to visas and passports, and to seek and procure any medical advice, specialized pretreatment or treatment, medication, or immunization that may be appropriate or required for travel into the intended countries.
It is understood that Compassion will capture the winner’s journey through photos and video interviews while on the trip, to create content for its purposes. I give Compassion and its affiliates the right to use my name, likeness, voice, and/or testimony in any written, photographic, audio, video, or other medium for documentary, publicity, promotion, advertising, and marketing purposes. This grant shall extend to any and all remakes and reissues, and to any and all phases of the utilization, of any work that uses my name, likeness, voice, and/or testimony.
Compassion trips typically include travel into the poorest areas of developing countries. Conditions are frequently uncomfortable and physically challenging including extended periods of walking on rough/unpaved paths, with possible demanding climbs, potential periods at high elevation, and long travel times requiring use of modern and primitive, private and public transportation services that may lack accommodations for people with physical disabilities. Compassion may require an accompanying traveler at my expense to monitor and assist with specific physical or medical needs. The right is reserved to decline participation for any person as a trip member for any reason that affects the operation of the trip or the rights and enjoyment of the other trip members.
Code of Conduct
Compassion is a Christ-centered, evangelical organization committed to releasing children from poverty in Jesus’ name through partnership with local evangelical churches in developing countries. By participating on a Compassion trip, I understand that I am perceived as a representative of Compassion, whether as a sponsor, donor, partner or guest, and agree to conduct myself according to Christian principles in the context of the local culture of the destination country. I agree to defer to and uphold standards communicated by trip leaders regarding specific behaviors which may be considered offensive or inappropriate in the local Christian context. I understand and agree that any behavior which puts the long-term ministry of Compassion at risk may result in dismissal at my expense. I additionally agree to adhere to Compassion’s travel safety standards as communicated by trip leaders.
Child/Visitor Code of Conduct
For everyone’s protection, it is important that Compassion trip members avoid even the appearance of inappropriate conduct when interacting with Compassion children. The following guidelines are intended to protect children in Compassion projects, as well as Compassion trip members, from abuse and wrongful allegations of abuse. 1. A Compassion staff member will accompany trip participants at all times during an individual visit. 2. A trip participant may only go to a child’s home if invited and accompanied by a Compassion staff member. 3. Trip participants may not stay overnight with children, whether in a staff member’s home or elsewhere. 4. Trip participants may not ask for or accept accommodations at the project or with the family of a sponsored child. 5. Trip participants must avoid flirting, unwelcome flattery, or suggestive comments. 6. Trip participants will be educated on how to be culturally sensitive in expressing affection to Compassion children. 7. Trip participants may not give any personal contact information to a Compassion child or his or her family, nor ask for or record a child’s contact information.
In the event that any provision of this Travel Release Form is adjudged invalid for any reason, such invalidity shall not affect the validity of any of the other provisions, which other provisions shall remain in full force and effect as if this Travel Release Form had been executed with the invalid provision eliminated. I understand and agree that this Travel Release Form is intended to be as broad and inclusive as permitted under applicable law and is made in and shall be governed by and construed according to the laws of the State of Colorado, United States of America.
I ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THIS DOCUMENT INCLUDES A RELEASE OF LIABILITY. I HAVE THEREFORE BEEN ADVISED TO READ THIS DOCUMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE SIGNING IT.
AFFIDAVIT: By my signature below, I affirm and certify that (a) I am 18 years of age or older; (b) all information provided above is true and correct; (c) I have read the above statements and understand the terms and conditions under which I voluntarily allow the minor to travel with Compassion and participate in its programs; and (d) I execute this Travel Release Form voluntarily, with full knowledge and intention to be legally bound by its terms and conditions to extend in perpetuity.